Business Occupancy Permit
In order to open a new business in the City of El Monte, the Planning Division must ensure that the type of business is consistent with zoning standards. The City has several zones that only allow certain types of uses.
Steps for Applying for a Business Occupancy Permit (BOP):
- Check the zoning map or call 626-258-8626 or email email@example.com ensure the property is in an allowed zone for your intended business.
- If it is an allowed use, a Planner will send you a BOP application via email or mail.
- A Maintenance Agreement may be required, if an industrial use in Manufacturing zones. The Planner will notify you of this requirement.
- Prepare the following documents:
- Mail or email the BOP Application and other documents to the following:
- Email- Planning@elmonteca.gov; or
- Address: City of El Monte, Attn: Planning Division, 11333 Valley Blvd. El Monte, CA. 91731
- Contact Business Licensing to apply for a Business License at the following link: https://blweb.elmonteca.gov/primeweb
A Business License fee will be collected by the cashier.
- Building & Safety will contact you to schedule an inspection.
- Get Fire Department Approval and/or inspection.
- Upon all approvals and fees, your Business License and Business Occupancy Permit will be mailed to your address.